Thursday, May 17, 2007

Baked Rice

I tend to come up with the strangest ideas, or maybe my housemate just naturally thinks I'm funny. I live with two other students: a girl and a guy.


The household freezer. Most of what you see belong to Scott, courtesy of his mom.


This was his dinner that night.


Hi Scott! I think that was chicken and veggie soup.

Back to my adventure:

I had leftover steamed rice and a can of pumpkin soup. I also had a bunch of frozen mixed veggies, a cheddar cheese block, and milk.


I boiled some rice first just in case it wasn't enough. The jar next to the rice bowl is my 'rice jar'. I washed and recycled a 700ml bottle that used to have pure tomato puree. It was for my spag bol but unfortunately I didn't think of taking pictures back then.


While the rice was boiling, I sauteed the veggies: celery, red capsicum, peas, corn, and onions. I didn't cook them fully because I was going to toss them into the oven later. Overcooked veggies = mush :(. Not good.


I put the veggies aside and tossed in the pumpkin soup. It came straight from the can and all I did was heat it up. I also added a bit of milk to make it creamier. I suppose you could put in cream as well, but it might be a bit heavy.


Rice into soup! :)


I made sure the rice was mixed really well. There are a couple of white bits here and there, but a little stirring put it right.


The rice and veggies were mixed and then placed in a baking tin. I then shaved off bits from the cheddar cheese block. Unlike mozzarella, cheddar doesn't melt into nice, stretchy, strands. It turns into a golden crust like the cheese crusts on buns. I then placed the baking tin into an oven at 230 degrees for about 20 minutes, and then 15 minutes on a medium grill to brown the cheese.


The result! :)


Mayo squeezed onto rice haha.

All in all, it was a pretty good meal. Maybe next time I should use mozarella instead of cheddar so that it gets more melty and is less salty.

No comments: